Renal & Urological Disorders
Unlock understanding in renal & urological disorders
The burden of renal and urological disease is increasing as U.S. and global populations age. Metabolomics is uniquely poised to drive the needed research and development to fuel greater understanding of these conditions and drive diagnostic and therapeutic opportunities.
- Chronic kidney disease (CKD) and kidney failure (end-stage renal disease, ESRD)
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)
- Urological Cancers
- Chronic Pelvic Pain/Prostatitis/Interstitial Cystitis/ Bladder Pain Syndrome
- Male Reproduction and Infertility
- Sexual Dysfunction
- Urinary Incontinence/Overactive Bladder (OAB)/Neurogenic Bladder (NGB)
- Recurrent Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs)
More understanding is needed surrounding the normal and abnormal function of renal and urological tissue at a molecular and cellular level. Untargeted metabolomics can be applied to cultured cells, tissues from model organisms, and patient biopsies to discover metabolic drivers of processes such as cell death and malignant transformation. These insights can be translated into actionable biomarkers through follow-on targeted assays.
Metabolic diseases are inextricably linked. Therefore, understanding the relationship between urological diseases and other co-morbidities like diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and obesity will help to inform disease prevention, diagnosis and treatment. Metabolon’s deep experience in metabolomics at the level of large patient cohorts plays a vital role in future advancements in the renal and urological field.