Your Partner for Biomarker Discoveries & Metabolomics Solutions
Metabolon is committed to helping researchers harness the power of Precision Metabolomics™ to gain in-depth biological insight, facilitate biomarker discovery and advance research. Whether you want to survey the entire metabolome, only complex lipids, or just a few key pathways or metabolites, our team of experts will work with you to clearly define your goals and develop a customized plan to meet them.
We offer a full range of metabolomics solutions - from discovery to targeted assays - that empower you at every stage of research.
From Discovery to the Clinic
Precision Metabolomics is a revolutionary technology for obtaining the most comprehensive, high-quality and accurate metabolomics data available. Our technology and workflow produce a full picture of the metabolome and map metabolites to their key biochemical pathways.
We help you answer a wide variety of research questions and give crucial knowledge into the function of genes, the basis of disease, and how treatments work. Our technology can also identify associated biomarkers, making it an attractive tool for investigators across multiple applications. Unique bioinformatics infrastructure and data interpretation experience transform that data into actionable information.
Our metabolomics solutions are powered by the industry’s most comprehensive global metabolomics platform. This automated platform quickly and accurately identifies and quantitates more than 1,000 metabolites with less than 4.5% median process variability and is compatible with almost any sample type. Covered classes include amino acids, carbohydrates, lipids, nucleotides, microbiota metabolism, energy, cofactors and vitamins, xenobiotics, and novel metabolites.
This exceptional data is imported into our pathway analysis environment for intuitive and insightful interpretation. The combination of data and interpretation tools represents a unique system for creating knowledge.
Backed by thousands of studies and more than 1,000 publications, Metabolon’s data, institutional knowledge, speed and capacity give you an advantage. Our expertise, infrastructure and bioinformatics solutions rapidly extract the key findings from metabolomics data.
To learn more, download our detailed Global Metabolomics brochure.
Lipidomics is a more focused form of metabolomics that surveys complex lipids, which serve many functions in biology and play an important role in the development of metabolic diseases, cancer, inflammation and central nervous system disorders. Accurate measures of lipids are essential for biomarker discovery and clarifying biological questions. But, because they have a diverse array of chemical structures and high degree of isomeric overlap, lipids are exceptionally challenging to accurately identify and quantify. These obstacles make high-quality lipidomics platforms extremely rare.
Metabolon has overcome the challenges of lipid profiling to create the only lipidomics platform able to provide both quantitative compositional analysis and complete speciation data. Our Complex Lipid Panel™ yields unparalleled insight into the lipidome.
The Complex Lipid Panel generates absolute quantitation, molecular species concentration and complete fatty acid composition of each covered lipid class. This unique method covers about 1,100 molecular species across 14 lipid classes, including principle phospholipid, sphingolipid and neutral lipid classes.
Download our informative Complex Lipid Panel brochure to learn more.
Targeted assays and panels focus on a specific metabolite or metabolites and can be used to track biomarkers and improve biological understanding in both clinical and preclinical research. They are an excellent tool for rapidly and accurately establishing pharmacodynamics, translational studies, gauging efficacy and safety in clinical trials and for post-market surveillance studies. The role of biomarkers is also expanding to inform new indications and targets, patient segmentation and novel mechanisms of action.
Metabolon’s targeted metabolite assays provide precise measurements of metabolites in a wide variety of sample matrices. Metabolites can be valuable biomarkers because they are sensitive to specific enzyme inhibitors and signaling pathways (e.g. kinase inhibitors) and are associated with many diseases such as metabolic disorders and cancer.
LC-MS/MS-based assays offer unique advantages over legacy assay platforms such as ELISA or IHC. Assays can be customized based on your needs and developed for research use only (RUO) or validated under Good Clinical Practice (GCP) and Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA).
Select from an ever-expanding, diverse menu of more than 150 pre-developed assays (qualified and /or validated) involving more than 250 metabolites for research or clinical trial use, including a fatty acid panel, short-chain fatty acid (SCFA) panel, bile acid panel and amino acid panel, such as:
- Fatty Acid Metabolism Panel: measures the major fatty acids of importance to human and animal metabolism, including saturated, mono-unsaturated omega-3, omega-6, trans and plasmalogen-derived fatty acids.
- Short-Chain Fatty Acid (SCFA) Panel: measures short-chain fatty acids in a variety of biological matrices. Quantitative measurements of SCFA can help elucidate the importance of the gut microbiome on human health.
- Bile Acid Panel: measures the major primary and secondary bile acids, as well as their glycine and taurine derivatives.
- Cholesterol Metabolism Panel: measures cholesterol, as well as intermediates in cholesterol synthesis and oxidation, phytosterols, and metabolic products of cholesterol to provide a comprehensive snapshot of sterol synthesis, absorption and excretion.
- Stratum Corneum Panel: measures more than 350 individual lipid metabolites found in stratum corneum, including free fatty acids, cholesterol sulfate, ceramides, dihydroceramides and phytoceramides.
- Sebum Lipid Panel: measures over 900 individual lipid species from multiple lipid classes, including wax esters and squalene. The fatty acids comprising the complex lipid classes are largely unique to skin metabolism and include odd and branched-chain fatty acids and a high concentration of the unusual sapienic acid (16:1n10) and its metabolites.
- accuGFR™ Panel: provides an estimate of the Glomerular Filtration Rate (GFR) that is more precise than current standard-of-care eGFR methods based on creatinine of cystatin C (MDRD or CKD-EPI), and it is independent of creatinine or cystatin C.
- 7 alpha-hydroxy-4-cholesten-3-one (C4) Panel: measurement in peripheral blood provides an assessment of the rate of bile acid synthesis in the liver.
- Metal Ion Panel: provides precise measurements of biologically important macro- and micro-nutrient metals, such as zinc, chromium, magnesium and iron, in plasma, serum or urine.
- Amino Acid Panel: measures the major free amino acids in biofluids. Quantitative profiling of amino acids can be used to study a wide variety of genetic disorders and acquired conditions that influence the amino acid metabolism. Monitoring the amino acid profile is also a useful tool in bioprocessing applications.
- Custom Assays: provides precise measurement of metabolites in a wide variety of matrices. Metabolites can be valuable biomarkers, because they are sensitive to specific enzyme inhibitors and signaling pathways and are associated with many diseases.
We can also rapidly develop and deliver customized panels. Download our Targeted Metabolite Assays brochure for more details.