Research Scientist in Sample Prep Lab(LC-MS required, Health Technology)
Job Code 1765
Durham, NC, USA
Metabolon, headquartered in Research Triangle Park, NC, is the world's leading life sciences company focused on metabolomics - an integrative, powerful phenotyping technology for assessing health. Its proprietary platforms and informatics are delivering biomarker discoveries, innovative diagnostic tests, breakthroughs in personalized medicine, and robust partnerships in genomics-based health initiatives. Due to our rapidly growing services business, Metabolon is seeking a Research Scientist to be an integral member of our platform team. The team member in this position will report to the Director, Platform Chemistry and will be responsible for the preparation of samples prior to analysis on our mass spectrometry platform. This position will be on a five day per week work schedule with the possibility of a required weekend commitment. The successful candidate will have experience in sample preparation for LC and/or LC-MS.
- Handling the physical samples as they are received and processed for the mass spectrometry platform.
- Independently perform sample measurements, including pipetting and weighing of biological samples.
- Operate lab robotics and equipment during chemical extraction of biological samples.
- Operation of lab robotics and equipment during reconstitution of sample extracts.
- Perform biological assays on biological samples and prepare reports for the Project Director and others as needed.
- Perform or assist in accessioning of incoming client samples.
- Maintain consumables inventories.
- Maintain laboratory equipment and report problems to the Sample Prep Manager.
- Prepare Sample Prep worksheets in LIMS.
- Assist in teaching junior scientists the basic tasks and protocols in the laboratory.
- Write experimental protocols, analyze data and summarize reports.
- Contribute to scientific papers and posters.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a life science is required. The preferred candidate will also have a minimum of 3 years’ experience in the field or in a related area.
- Must be familiar with a variety of the field's concepts, practices, and procedures. Experience with chromatography and liquid-handling robotics are required.
- Some knowledge of organic chemistry, biological systems and laboratory automation.
- A broad overview of chemistry, including chemical structures and nomenclature, and familiarity with general concepts, practices and procedures is expected.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment is required.
- Ability to plan experiments and carry out data analysis.
- Computer skills should include MS Office (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook, etc.)
- Some experience working in LIMS systems is desired.
- The team member is expected to use experience and good judgement to accomplish task in a satisfactory manner.
Metabolon offers a comprehensive benefits program including health, dental, disability and life insurance coverage, a 401(k) savings plan, and paid time off.
To apply for this position, please click on the link below or send cover letter and resume via mail to Attention: Talent Acquisition, P.O. Box 110407, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709. Cover letters should reference the job title above. No phone calls please.
Metabolon is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected status prohibited under Federal, State, or local laws. All employment decisions are based on valid job‐related requirements.