The human microbiome harbors a massive diversity of microbes that effectively form an “organ” that strongly influences metabolism and immune function and hence, human health. Not surprisingly, growing evidence is illustrating a central role in chemicals (metabolites) orchestrating much of the operative features of this complex host-microbiota interaction the 2 genomes (host and metagenome) conferring the phenotype.
- Sankaranarayanan K. Gut Microbiome Diversity among Cheyenne and Arapaho Individuals from Western Oklahoma. Current Biology 21. (2015).
- Publication Index by Research Area
- Marchesan, J. Association of Synergistetes and Cyclodipeptides with Periodontitis. Journal of Dental Research, 2015.
- He, B. Transmissible Microbial and Metabolomic Remodeling by Soluble Dietary Fiber Improves Metabolic Homeostasis. Scientific Reports, 2015.
- Guo, L, et al. Plasma Metabolomic Profiles Enhance Precision Medicine for Volunteers of Normal Health. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 2015.
- Barrios, C, et al. Gut-Microbiota-Metabolite Axis in Early Renal Function Decline. PLoS ONE, 2015. 10 (8):e0134311.
- Pfalzer, A C, et al. Diet- and Genetically-Induced Obesity Differentially Affect the Fecal Microbiome and Metabolome in Apc1638n Mice. PLoS ONE, 2015. 10 (8):e0135758.
- Yano, J M, et al. Indigenous Bacteria from the Gut Microbiota Regulate Host Serotonin Biosynthesis. Cell, 2015. 161 (2):264-76.
- Wu, G D, et al. Comparative Metabolomics in Vegans and Omnivores Reveal Constraints on Diet-Dependent Gut Microbiota Metabolite Production. Gut, 2014.
- Jump, R L, et al. Metabolomics Analysis Identifies Intestinal Microbiota-Derived Biomarkers of Colonization Resistance in Clindamycin-Treated Mice. PLoS ONE, 2014. 9 (7):e101267.
- Lustgarten, M S, et al. Metabolites Related to Gut Bacterial Metabolism, Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptor-Alpha Activation, and Insulin Sensitivity Are Associated with Physical Function in Functionally-Limited Older Adults. Aging Cell, 2014.
- Chow, J. Fecal metabolomics of Healthy Breast-Fed versus Formula-Fed Infants before and during In Vitro Batch Culture Fermentation. Journal of Proteome Research, 2014.
- Beebe, K, et al. Understanding the Apothecaries Within: The Necessity of a Systematic Approach for Defining the Chemical Output of the Human Microbiome. Clinical and Translational Science, 2014. 7(1):74-81.
- Theriot, C M, et al. Antibiotic-Induced Shifts in the Mouse Gut Microbiome and Metabolome Increase Susceptibility to Clostridium difficile Infection. Nature Communications, 2014. 5(3114).
- Kaddurah-Daouk, R, et al., Enteric Microbiome Metabolites Correlate with Response to Simvastatin Treatment. PLoS One, 2011. 6(10): e25482.
- Hsiao, E Y, et al., Microbiota Modulate Behavioral and Physiological Abnormalities Associated with Neurodevelopmental Disorders. Cell, 2013. 155(1451-1463.